I'm so over you Bob

So last year I wrote a blog about the stacked Bob and how much I adore it, it's true I still love the cut and think it's flattering for most face shapes, but allow me to tell you about the other side of Bob... growing it out. I had a very stacked Bob done in November of 2011, the front was longer than the back etc. Well I missed doing braids, buns, curls etc. on my hair and decided it was time to grow out my short locks. It's been about 9 months now since I started growing out my hair and it has been such a process. An annoying and long process.

 

I rarely dislike my hair but the past few weeks I have been pinning it back everyday because I can't stand the sight of my own hair in a mirror. It's angry with me, the back is long and heavy where the stacks have begun growing out, it's massively layered and looks awkward especially because the front is unlayered. It doesn't lay right and the worst part is it won't stay straight at all, it just flips out like i'm rocking the Mary Tyler Moore cut.

 

This picture is IMMEDIATELY after straightening it.... FAIL

 

 

I'm working in a hair salon now and have been lucky enough to pick the brains of stylists to find out what the best way to grow out a Bob is. P.S regardless of how hard you try you will still have to go through an awkward hair length stage, however we can do a bit to make it look less terrible!

 

 

This is immediately after I got my hair colored, ps. red is totally hot right now, we will discuss this later. See how it almost looks like a mullet?

 

 

 

#1: Get bangs: Mixing it up a bit will help the shape of your hair look different. If you already have bangs then grow them out, it's a simple way to alter your hairstyle without cutting off the length of your hair.

#2: Even out the layers: This can take TIME to get to a point where your hair is long enough that you can even out your layers without creating a mullet. Be patient.

#3: Get rid of the corners: This is a must to changing from a bob to another hairstyle, ask your stylist to gently remove the heavy corners of the bob.

#4: Change your color: Add highlights or lowlights to help add some dimension to your tresses as they grow out.

 

What I did was take off the bottom layer of my hair that was flipping out. This evened out the back so as it grows out I won't have such drastic layers in the back. I had to lose some length in order to do this, but the hope is it will grow out a bit more evenly and be easier to work with.

 

Here is the end result, again I lost a bit of length hoping it will grow out more evenly.... No matter what it's pretty ... so that's awesome!

 

 

This is a long and annoying process, so be patient. Pin it back while you are growing it out to avoid some of the annoying flipping that occurs. Fight the urge to cut! It's hard, I almost chopped it back to the stacked bob until one of the stylists suggested just taking the weight off the back to help it lay more evenly.

 

I did this adorable look a lot before my recent trim.

 

 

 

 

 

Good Luck!

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment