Beauty School Diaries: Blunt Cuts

Hello Pretty! I am so sorry I've been MIA, I started cosmetology school last week and my life has been hectic to say the least. You my poor readers have been neglected in the process. I'm starting a new series (today) called the Beauty School Diaries. This will chronicle my thoughts, feelings and learnings while in school! Hopefully ya'll will find this information helpful and I'm excited to be able to bring to you the actual science of beauty! So let's dig in I have a lot to catch you up on...

I had A LOT of expectations of what beauty school would be like, I thought it would be really fun and easy. I totally thought I would be the best at everything, because 1.) I'm a perfectionist and 2.) I have high expectations on everything I do. We started with the basics, orientation, rules and regs of the school etc. The same day we did our first haircut. Wait, what? Day one and we are cutting hair? I know, I know it's just a mannequin but still I wasn't prepared for this until at least week 2. We learned a four section part (i.e you part the hair down the middle and then from ear to ear) we dropped a 1/2 inch subsection (am I suppose to know what a half inch looks like??) and we started our 0 degree haircut. What does this have to do with you? Well in this haircut I learned a few things.

A 0 degree cut is also called a "blunt" cut. This means there is no layering or elevation in the cut. This is not one of my favorite haircuts yet it serves a purpose. The blunt bob is the same cut as a long 0 degree cut, interesting huh?

This cut builds weight in the hair and creates the illusion of thickness and body. This is a great cut for people looking to create thickness in their hairstyle, however it's NOT a great cut for people with a long face. Without face framing or layers this cut actually makes your face look longer. If you have a long face and love this cut add blunt bangs to help widen your face. Jennifer Love Hewitt is an example of someone with a long face doing this cut right.

 

On a round face this helps to balance your overall look out. Sienna Miller rocks this blunt look with some side swept bangs to add a little softness to the cut.

The blunt cut is a lot harder than I thought....it is hard to achieve a perfectly straight line. This beauty school thing may not be as easy as I thought. Queue "Beauty School Drop Out".... just kidding! I'm not giving up!

 

I hope everyone is having a beautiful day!

 

If anyone has any questions for me please feel free to write me! I am learning a ton of stuff and trying to repeat to you what I think is relevant.

 

XoXo Nicole

 

No comments:

Post a Comment